Our recent parachute tests didn’t quite go according to plan.Which means we’re at a crossroad for choosing the right design.
Here is an update on the tests we recently conducted on two parachutes, which are part of the SPICA booster parachute system. Unfortunately, neither test went as we had hoped for, but for different reasons.
For the drogue parachute, we tested the third design iteration. Although the second design worked well, we saw the “spaghetti monster” effect again during the recent test, where only the top half of the parachute inflated. We are concerned that we cannot make a design that inflates properly under the conditions we test, and we are considering focusing on the onion or the supersonic x design. However, we need qualified advice on which design to trust for implementation.
With the main parachute, we encountered a new issue during the opening where the reefing time boxes got entangled in the reefing line due to a design modification. As a result, the parachute didn’t fully inflate until the last few seconds of its flight, and we had to pull it down from a tree.
Yes, tree climbing is also a part of rocket science!
We are now planning to fix the timer pockets on the parachute and test the next design iteration,
but we need funding for this. Unfortunately, currently our engine team has our entire budget to get some traction under the engine production, so we need to wait for funding. We are requesting 3000 kronor or 400 USD/Euros to buy materials and pay for the expenses of the next test.
If you would like to help fund this, you can send money on mobile pay 2122534 (ONLY Denmark) or visit our support page to make a one-time donation or sign up for a monthly payment.